Friday, April 18, 2008

And The Winner Is

Okay, gang, comments are officially closed for the fantasy series contest. First of all, let me just say, "Wow! You folks are good!" Even with a few titles that I pulled out because I didn't think they completely qualified as a fantasy series, there were 59 nominations. I went ahead and added one more to make it an even 60 for voting purposes.

First let's announce the winner of the contest. Then we'll get to the voting process. The winner, as randomly chosen by some random number generator I found on the internet is . . . Raych. Congratulations! E-mail me at scott at jscottsavage dot com, and I'll send you the fantasy novel of your choice.

You all have listed a ton of great fantasy series. I'm actually going to print this out and start taking it to conferences for when people ask what fantasy books are good. I'll post the full list below. I'm sure I've got some mistakes here, so feel free to point out if I've misspelled an author's name or series. Voting for the best of the best begins tomorrow.

Here's how we'll do it. I'll divide the books into four groups. Using the poll on the right we'll pick the best from each group, with one round per day. Each round will consist of 15 titles. You can pick up to five from each group. Once we have twenty titles (after four rounds), we'll narrow it down to ten (almost like March madness.) Then the final ten will duke it out head to head. Each round will last one day, beginning Saturday and ending next Friday.

One note. Rather than divide the list completely randomly, I'm going to try to make sure there are an even number of heavy hitters in each group.

This should be fun. Here's the full list:

The Chronicles of Prydain by Alexander Lloyd
Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
The Ships (Ship Who Sang) by Anne McCaffrey
Crystal Singer by Anne McCaffrey
Tower and Hive (The Rowan) by Anne McCaffrey
Catteni (Freedom's Landing) by Anne McCaffrey
Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Redwall by Brian Jacques
Chanur by C.J. Cherryh
Foreigner by C.J. Cherryh
Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis
The Southern Vampire Novels by Charlain Harris
Newford by Charles De Lint
Inheritance by Christopher Paolini
To Say Nothing of the Dog, and The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
Inkheart Trilogy by Corneila Funke
Pendragon by D. J. MacHale
Belgariad and Mallorean by David Eddings
The Runelords by David Farland
Young Wizards (So You Want to be a Wizard...) by Diane Duane
Warriors by Erin Hunter
The Old Kingdom Trilogy by Garth Nix
Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin
Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
Children of the Red King (Charlie Bone) by Jenny Nimmo
Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan
The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud
Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
The Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls, and The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold
The Time Quartet by Madeline L'Engle
The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
The Rose and the Prophet by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
Temeraire by Naomi Novak
Tales of Alvin Maker by Orson Scott Card
His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman
Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony
Riftwar by Raymond E Feist
Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan
Conan the Barbarian by Robert E Howard
The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
Tawny Man by Robin Hobb
The Liveship Trilogy by Robin Hobb
Farseer by Robin Hobb
Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
Samaria by Sharon Shinn
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Steven R. Donaldson
The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper
The Lost Years of Merlin by T.A. Barron
Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams
Alanna by Tamora Pierce
Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks
Word and the Void by Terry Brooks
The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind
Discworld by Terry Pratchett

18 comments:

DesLily said...

utoh, did i break it?? I marked my 5 favorite and hit vote and it says "cannot process" !

Brian said...

Soctt-
You posted the Chronicles of Prydain under two names. One at the top and one near the bottom titled the Prydain Chronicles. They are the same series.

J Scott Savage said...

Great catch, Brian. I swear I sorted that three times by name to avoid duplicates. Oh well. I removed it from the last and will add something else to make an even 60. I'd really love to add The Foundation Trilogy by Asimov. But it's definitely S/f

Deslilly,

Did you get it to work? If that happens to anyone else, just post your comment and I'll include them in the vote.

Brian said...

Scott-
I'm pretty sure there are actually 5 Foundation books. I'm not entirely sure but just thought I'd point that out.

J Scott Savage said...

I think there are somewhere around six or seven total books. But the first three, written as The Foundation Trilogy, won a Hugo.

J Scott Savage said...

Reading over my list, it suddenly occured to me that Card's Ender series is S/F too. So I'm taking it off the list, even though it's one my favorites. I need to come up with two more.

Chris said...

Yeah, as much as I wish we could include Ender, I have to agree that he's sci-fi...I was trying to find some way to squeeze more than just the Alvin Maker series into this, but neither Ender nor Homecoming work. He's supposed to release a new fantasy series this year though called Mithermages and it sounds incredible...there's a story called Stonefather in the Wizards anthology that's set in the Mithermages universe and it's really good. Have you read it?

DesLily said...

I tried it again and it said the same thing.. I don't know if it's actually taking it or not...argh.. sorry..

just in case i chose these:
Dragonriders of Pern
Sword of Shannara
Inkheart
Fablehaven
Bartemaeus Trilogy

J Scott Savage said...

For some reason your vote isn't working Deslily. I really don't like bloggers poll tool. But the Vizu one I normally use won't let me add more than 10 choices. Not to worry though. I added your votes.

DesLily said...

ok I'll just list my votes each time.. sheesh... sorry I am making work for you!!

Weston Elliott said...

um... its
"The Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis (7 books).
(Okay, so I'm incredibly, neurotically picky on that point.)

Park Avenue Princess said...

Congrats Raych! and Hello Scott! I missed the contest, but I'm going to vote and last night, I tried to catch up on all the posts.

I also posted on Mr. Beans blog and asked him WHY he hasn't posted about your tour...yeah, I did that...for YOU!

Anyway, I'm off to vote.

Thanks! & Hugs!
Amy

Park Avenue Princess said...

Scott, It didn't work for me either, so I emailed you my answers along with a couple of other things. Talk to you soon.

XO
Amy

Karlene said...

Oops. If Ender doesn't count, then some of the ones I listed don't either. So sorry. I wasn't thinking. But you better delete:
The Ships (Ship Who Sang) by Anne McCaffrey
Crystal Singer by Anne McCaffrey
Tower and Hive (The Rowan) by Anne McCaffrey
Catteni (Freedom's Landing) by Anne McCaffrey
Chanur by C.J. Cherryh
Foreigner by C.J. Cherryh

Again, I'm soo, sooo sorry.

J Scott Savage said...

Weston,
Yeah I should probably be more specific. I also cut out most of the series, trilogy, etc. Oh well

Princess,
Glad your back and feeling some better. We missed you.

Karlene,

No worries, we'll just delete those going forward. Still good to have them on the big list.

Michelle said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE the young wizard series, by Diane Duane it is SO diferent from HP. I love her magic system so much better.

Michelle

Bookworm1520 said...

so this was like a year ago?

Nati O.o said...

I know this was 3 years ago but there's a few series I would like to add to the list if you were going to take it around.... I don't honestly know if you will take them since it's been so long, but I can certainly try!
1) The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
2) Worlds of the Crystal Moon by Phillip E. Jones (although only the first book has come out and that was some time ago.)
3) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (I'm sure you have read this one already.)
4)Last is Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman. I'm not sure if there is a name for the series, but that is the name for the first book.

LOVE your series btw! I finished both books in about 3 days. If I had gone non-stop reading, I think it took me 30 hours or possibly even less. I love reading, but I haven't but I haven't finished big books like this, this quickly since I read Harry Potter 7. Thanks for the thrill and the exquisite imagination I get when reading them! Kepp up the great work!