Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Bookish Stuff

You know how when you were a kid, you'd count down every day until your birthday? That's kind of how it's going now with the book. Sometime today I'm hoping to see a more detailed version of the cover art. I did get some dates though. ARCs go to press on the 6th, which means they should be back from the printer by the end of May. I assume this means the cover will be finalized sometime between now and then. The actual release is going to be a week later than I thought. It will offically come out on the 12th of September. That means I'll be touring for the two weeks beginning the 13th. Whoo hoo!

Yesterday I got back the final inside the cover blurb, and the final author bio. Not quite as cool as the cover I'll admit. But, hey, I'll take what I can get. So here they are. (Tomorrow I have to tell you about the most fun and funniest game I've played in quite a while. My younger boys and I are hooked on it.)

Farworld, book 1: Water Keep

Confined to a wheelchair, thirteen-year-old Marcus Kanenas is an outcast and a nobody, but that doesn't stop him from dreaming of a world far away, a world where magic is as common as air, where animals tell jokes and trees beg people to pick their fruit. He even has a name for this place—Farworld.

When Marcus magically travels to Farworld, he meets Kyja, a girl without magic in a world where spells, charms, and potions are everywhere, and Master Therapass, a master wizard who has kept a secret hidden for thirteen years, a secret that could change two worlds.

But the Dark Circle has learned of Master Therapass’s secret and their evil influence and power are growing. Farworld’s only hope is for Marcus and Kyja to find the mythical Elementals—water, land, air, and fire—and convince them to open a drift between Earth and Farworld.

As Kyja and Marcus travel to Water Keep, they must face the worst the evil Dark Circle can throw at them—Summoners, who can call forth armies of the dead; Unmakers, invisible creatures that are the very opposite of reality; and dark mages known as Thrathkin S’Bae.

Along the way, Marcus and Kyja will discover the truth about their own heritage, the strength of their friendship, and the depths of their unique powers.

About the Author

J. Scott Savage has been creating stories for as long as he can remember. He lives at the mouth of a canyon where morning and evening winds keep the air clear and blue—along with blowing over patio tables, trees, basketball stands, and the occasional small child. He has a wonderful wife who has stuck with him for more than twenty years, four great children, a spastic border collie, and possibly three or four fish. (The pond is still frozen, so he isn’t quite sure.)

Scott has held too many jobs to count, including: a mall Santa, French chef, CEO of a dot com, plumber, radio station talk show host, and the guy who sits in the little photo developing booth. He has completed one marathon and hopes to complete another when the memories finally fade away. He loves reading, writing, camping, playing games with his family, and especially hearing from and meeting his readers. To e-mail him or schedule a visit, come to his website www.readfarworld.com

16 comments:

DesLily said...

wow.. you need the shirt "almost famous" to wear..but only until your book gets released then you can make a big black X over the word Almost !!!

everything is shaping up and sounding good!

Chris said...

This sounds so great Scott! I'm psyched for you!! And I can't wait to read it. I love your author blurb. Cracks me up. You've done it all, huh? I once had a spastic border collie as well, but it ran away :/ oh well...

The blurb about the book is incredible, but the only thing I would change is that first thing "confined to a wheelchair". That's totally just me though. I got my degree in rehabilitation counseling which has it's main focus on working with people with disabilities and I've worked with them for years and years and there's this big movement on positive and people first language and they hate that word "confined" They now prefer "uses a wheelchair". I'd only change it for the public eye, but I see how it adds a nice contrast to how he'll be able to overcome those barriers and break those "confinements". Can't wait!

Jeff Savage said...

Thanks, Des, but I don't think I'll order the x-ed out version just yet. :)

Great point, Chris. Hadn't thought of that, but I'll see what I can do. I really appreciate the feedback.

trish said...

This is freaking awesome! OMG!

I love your sense of humor. I think it's so refreshing to have someone who doesn't take themselves quite so seriously. Careful, though, with that author blurb and giving us all that information...you're gonna have us bloggers asking all KINDS of questions when we interview you!

J Scott Savage said...

Yeah,I like to have fun with it all. Wait till you see the acknowledgments. Then you'll really have questions!

allyson condie said...

That's a great blurb and intro. I'm really excited to read your book. Also, I was dying laughing at the marathon comment. I've run a few as well and that's exactly how I've felt...you have to let the memories of one fade before you can think about running another.

Brian said...

Awesome!!!

I can't wait to see the cover, let alone read the book! Hilarious author blurb and awesome synopsis. (I do call it that don't I?)

When are you gonna post the cover? How are you going to post the cover? Scanner? Picture? Just kinda a random question that occurred to me.

Can't wait for Farworld--Water Keep

Tamra Norton said...

Coolness! Can't wait to get my ARC!

Crystal Liechty said...

Oooh, I got chills reading the book copy! And it was a little weird when the bio referred to you as Scott. Jeff. Jeff, Jeff, Jeff.

Annette Lyon said...

So exciting! Great blurb.

Having lived at the mouth of the same canyon, I can say you described it well. Those winds are a menace!

Melinda said...

LOVED the author bio. You are hilarious!

(gold fish, pond frozen over:HAHAHAHA! I'm still laughing)

Your hooks are working; I haven't been this excited for a book in a long time.

Heather B. Moore said...

All great. Except for the "the pond is still frozen"--because the book will come out in September, when the pond is no longer frozen. Bet ya didn't think you'd get all this critiquing did you? LOL.

My Journey Through Reading... said...

Congratulations! Great bio. I also have a spastic border collie. Fun, isn't it?

Luisa Perkins said...

So cool! Thanks for sharing the process.

Rachelle said...

Wow! You have definite reasons to be stoked over this! It sounds awesome. Does it feel like you're in a Farworld of your own right now?

Brian said...

Scott-
How did you make the Farworld Blog Tour Sticky? I tried using the scheduled post feature, but it still showed the date. Can you tell us how?