Monday, April 7, 2008

Marketing Part IV—The Blog Tour

As promised, I am officially kicking off the Find Your Magic, Farworld Blog tour. Since I haven’t done this before, I am going to kind of make it up as I go. It’s pretty simple, so that shouldn’t be too hard. But if any of you more experienced bloggers think of a better way to do it, or catch something I missed, let me know. Here’s the deal:

My publisher, Shadow Mountain, is providing me with 400 advanced reader copies of the first book in the Farworld series, Farworld—Water. The books will be used for a blog tour running from July 1 to August 31. (The book should hit the shelves the first week of September. It appears the official release date is September 5th.) I will send the first 200 bloggers who sign up to take part in the tour an ARC, and will also drop ship a second copy for them as part of any type of contest they would like to run.

What: Farworld Blog Tour
When: The tour will run through the months of July and August. Signup will begin Friday, April 11th. (But you can get in early. See below.)

Here’s what you do:

1) Send an e-mail to me at scott at jscottsavage dot com any time after 7:00 am MST Friday, April 11th telling me the name and URL of your blog, the mailing address where you’d like the book sent, and any preference you have as to when you want to post your review. I’d kind of like to spread out the reviews over the two months prior to the release, but I don’t want to tie anyone to a specific date. Let’s just make it easy and say first half of July, second half of July, first half of August, or second half of August.

2) Agree to run a review of the book and do a Q&A with me on your blog during the tour. You don’t need to send me your questions now, since you may come up with different questions once you’ve read the book. (I’d imagine something like, “If you can get this trash published, doesn’t that give hope for everyone?”) Okay, I hope that’s not really the first question that comes to mind, but it would be great if sites asked questions that are most tailored to their audience so they aren’t all the same.

3) When the time comes to do the review and the Q&A, run any type of contest you’d like. When you have a winner, send me their address and I’ll send them their book. On both the book I send you and the one I send the winners, let me know if you’d like them signed and personalized in any way.

Here’s what I do:

1) I will provide Shadow Mountain with the list of blogger addresses. As soon as the ARCs come out they will be mailed to you.

2) I will post here on the site when the tour is full, and when the ARCs are sent out. If you don’t get your book within a week or so of the mailing, let me know and I’ll check on your copy.

3) As soon as I get your questions, I’ll send back my answers.

4) If we get too many people signing up for one part of the tour, I’ll ask for volunteers to change to another part of the tour.

Random Notes:


G sharp, E flat, D.

Sorry.

The only real rules I can think of are that you must be using a blog that is fairly active. No fair using sites that haven’t been updated since 1999, cool as that year was. If you have two blogs that have different audiences, I think I’d be okay with you posting and running contests on both of them, but I’d only send you one review copy. Also, if you are part of a blog that you share with other people, it will be first come first serve. Only one review and contest copy per blog.

Oh, this might be kind of a pain, but since the initial release will only be in the US, I’m going to limit the tour to US and Canadian addresses only. I promise to do another tour in other countries when foreign rights are sold.
If you don't have a blog, not to worry. I'll link to all the blogs on the tour, so you'll have 200 chancea to win one. And I might be able to snag a couple of extra copies to give away here too.

Finally, thanks everyone. I really appreciate all of you who have given me such great feedback and support. It’s great to have good people helping you, and I hope I can return the favor. But in all seriousness, review the book honestly. I’d much rather have someone say they didn’t like this or that so I can try to improve with the next book in the series. But, hey, if you really do think I’m the next JK Rowling, say what you have to.

51 comments:

Becky said...

I have both post and email ready to go. :)

Tamra Norton said...

Hey Mr. J. Scott Savage! I've blogged about this little thingy over at The Ink Ladies: http://theinkladies.blogspot.com/ and I'll be sending out the e-mail on the 11th (I hope I did this right because I'm easily confused). I've promised a J. Scott Savage trivia contest and will stop an nothing to please my readers (short of disqualifying myself from receiving the book).

J Scott Savage said...

A point of clarification you can send me the e-mail and do the post right away. You only need to wait until Friday if you are not linking. Does that meke sense?

Chris said...

Awesome! My computer's been out of comission for awhile now and I've been having to rely on the kindness of strangers erm...friends for computer usage...of course I lost all of my blog links from my old computer, but a friend who reads your blog was kind enough to give me the link and apparently just in time! But you're now on my blogroll since I finally updated it, so I don't have to worry about that happening again. I'll link about this in my next post. Sounds like it will be a fun blog tour!

Candace E. Salima said...

I'm in, Jeff. I just emailed you all the requested information.

Weston Elliott said...

ROCK ON!! Just tell me the day!

I wanted to be first, but I guess my stalking skills aren't up to par, since 5 people beat me here, and Tristi already has it on her blog, too. I'll have to work on that. :^D

Suey said...

My post and email done and sent! :)

Brian said...

I'm going to write the email and post immediately. My only worries are that not very many people read my blog, and that I might not be able to send the email in time. 7:00 your time= 6:00 my time. I'll have to set my alarm pretty darn early. And go to sleep early on Thursday. I'll try though.

J Scott Savage said...

Thanks to everyone who has signed up so far. The response has been great. Keep them coming! You guys are awesome.

Karlene said...

I posted on my blog and sent you the e-mail. This is cool!

Brian said...

I have made the post and sent the email. Will you reply to the people who made it? I am really anxious even though this post hasn't even existed for 24 hours.

Heather B. Moore said...

I'll definitely do this!

Luisa Perkins said...

I will post about this tomorrow! Very cool.

Sandra said...

My post is up over at http:sandrasdance.blogspot.com

Irish said...

Just a quick note to say that I've posted about your blog tour on my blog: http://tickettoanywhere.blogspot.com/

Shanna Blythe said...

Mine is up to and I'll be sending you an e-mail. Thanks so much, this looks like a lot of fun!

trish said...

Shucks! I sent you the email, but I want to comment too and tell you I put it up here: http://trishsdiary.wordpress.com/2008/04/07/j-scott-savage-and-roger-rabbit/

As promised, there's lots of gushing. :-)

Lilacspecs said...

I'll be happy to participate when your book goes international. I live in Belgium so I guess I can't do much for you right now, but when I can I'd definitely like to.

Candace E. Salima said...

Jeff - get this stuff over on to your cre8buzz, bebo, My Space and Facebook pages. It increases the exposure . . . promise.

DesLily said...

I did a mention of your blog tour on my post today.. I only hope it helps !!

DesLily said...

guess I should leave this link!

http://herethereandeverywhere2ndedition.blogspot.com/2008/04/can-author-and-wizard-be-mentione-in.html

Danyelle F. said...

Awesome, Jeff. I already linked you in and will be anxiously awaiting to mark the date on my calendar!

Summer said...

I'm so excited! This will be fun!

~paulette said...

ooooo oooooo I so wanna help. I saw the post over at Wendy's blog and i was 'happy as all get-out' just to get a link to your blog. You're SOOOO my favorite LDS-Storymaker. :) Give me a day to get a link on my blog and i'll drop you a line.

Laters

C.S. Bezas said...

OK, Mr. J. Scott Savage, I'm like Tami. I'm excited to help out and have posted a link to your blog. Let me know what else I need to do to help out and to be included! :0) I'm so happy for you.

G. Parker said...

Hey! I am sooo in! I've got you emailed and the blog all set up!

Tasses said...

Hi Mr. Savage,

Just sent you an email and then I remembered that you requested a review date. I'd like late July, please & thank you & all that jazz!

Julie Wright said...

I'll definitely be blogging for you buddy ol pal! http://juliewright.com/blog4/
By tomorrow it'll be up and running!

Autumn Ables said...

Sweet! I love this marketing tool you have created, Jeff! Very unique, very wise.

I'm in too! I will go post on both my blogs...

{I'll email ya soon}

PS: I STILL laugh at the 'Pre-blog life' skit you and Dashner did at the Whitneys! You almost made me pee my pants!

Bellezza said...

How fun is this?! I'd like to participate. As soon as I post about the tour on my blog, when I'm not teaching my third graders like now, I'll let you know.

Thanks for visiting; it's nice to meet you.

Booklogged said...

I have my post up at A Reader's Journal. Will send an email soon with all other needed info.

Bellezza said...

My post about your tour is up at:
http://dolcebellezza.blogspot.com/2008/04/introducing-farworld-blog-tour.html

I tried to email you, but it kicked back to me. I'll try again from my home computer.

Keith Fisher said...

Jeff I will be posting a link on Saturday. It;s okay if you have too many responding I will stand aside. (Even though I was one of the first responders when you first posted this idea on the six writers and frog site.) :)
Keith
the url of my blog is www.ldswritersblogck.com

daydream said...

Oh crapola. I really wanted to enter!
Why does it have to be only to US/Canadian adresses? Ah, well I'll get over it, it's geography to blame. I wish you a great success with the tour and your novel sounds like major fun.

Josi said...

I'm in--I had just put up a post so I included the info at the bottom, does that count? if not, let me know.

Cheryl said...

I have added a post to my blog and sent an email. Thanks Cheryl

Stephanie said...

What a great idea!! As a lover of all things YA and fantasy, I'm excited!!

I just posted about your tour....here is a link to my site!
http://stephaniesbooks.blogspot.com/2008/04/find-your-magic-farworld-blog-tour-2008.html

Rachelle said...

Count me in! I posted a link on my blog. This should be fun.

Framed said...

I would love to be included. Here is a link to my post about the book tour:
http://framedandbooked.blogspot.com/2008/04/farworld-2008-blog-tour.html
Now I'm headed over to email.

Annette Lyon said...

Didn't know if you'd want yet another person in virtually the same blogging circle, but if you do, I'm game. I'll post about it next. Count me in for July sometime.

cupcake said...

I'd love to take part.

Trish said...

Sounds fabulous!

Terry said...

So define "active" blog for me?

J Scott Savage said...

Thanks for all the support. You all are absolutely amazing! I am so dang excited about the tour. And Terry, I checked out your blog and you are in!

Terry said...

Great! We will have some fun working on the questions!

SarahK said...

Do Dashner siblings count?

I'm totally in if you don't hold that against me :)

Dewey said...

I emailed, but I got a notice saying your email rejected mine as spam. Not sure what to do now, but I would like to participate!

Park Avenue Princess said...

I wrote you a while ago Scott and you wrote back..but, I just wanted to make sure that I posted here anyway!

Amy

An Ordinary Mom said...

I just sent an email ... I hope there are still spots available.

My Journey Through Reading... said...

I just sent you an e-mail, I hope I am not too late. Thanks, Erin

Mberenis said...

Thank you for posting this amazing blog!

Search Engine for Internet Marketing ADD URL FREE to 6,000+ Websites viewable by popularity, traffic, quality, reach, and more!