Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Return of the King


Well, after a week of voting, the results are in. We’ve decided what the top ten fantasy series titles of all time are. (We are the deciding committee after all right?) It’s been a lot of fun, and I have to admit I’ve added several new titles to my TBR list. I’ve also discovered that for polling purposes, the VIZU tool wins hands down.

We had a few less voters in this final round. Not sure if that’s because it’s Saturday, (and a beautiful Saturday here in Utah) or if the ranking tool was a little more intimidating. In any event, even with the slightly lower numbers, the voting was surprisingly consistent. There were a few wildcards. But you generally agreed on who went where for at least the top six or so.

I don’t think the top three or so will be all that surprising to most of you, but the order they came might. I wondered if HP had replaced LOTR in the hearts of fantasy readers—especially the younger ones. But clearly it hasn’t. It also makes me happy to see everyone still loves Narnia.

I have to admit, my heart raced a little as I considered having my novels join a group like the ones we’ve discussed. Not that I would ever dream of being compared to these top titles, but they very fact that I’ll be on the same shelves with them makes me smile all the time. So with no further writing, here are your top ten winners and the average place they were voted.

Hope you enjoyed this half as much as I did. Back to our normal programming next week.


Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien 1.4
Narnia by C.S. Lewis 3.7
Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling 4.3
The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan 5.5
Inkheart Trilogy by Corneila Funke 6.1
The Time Quartet by Madeline L'Engle 6.1
The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud 6.7
Fablehaven by Brandon Mull 6.9
Tales of Alvin Maker by Orson Scott Card 7.2
His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman 7.2


Hope you enjoyed this half as much as I did. Back to our normal programming next week.

8 comments:

DesLily said...

when it comes down to the final vote you have to wonder how much "age" plays in the voting.

Now, I don't mean that as an old person I don't read YA books.. duh.. I do. What I do mean though is that when you have a list of "favorite books" and told to put them in order of how much you like them, I wonder if "age" plays the deciding card...
I first read the Hobbit and LOTR over 30 yrs ago and read/seen the movies more than once over those 30 yrs.. so is it the fact I've known of LOTR for over 30 yrs why I put it first over lets say HP because I didn't learn of HP until book 3 had come out, so haven't had Harry in my life as many years as I have LOTR... I just wonder.

For all intent and purposes, any books I feel strongly enough about to reread or want to reread are all "number one books" in my list!! :o)

DesLily said...

oops forgot ..

Do read Jonathan Strouds Bartimaeus series!! and Cornelia Funk's Inkheart series if you haven't already... super super books! Glad they made the final count!

Luisa Perkins said...

Fun! (I couldn't figure out how to vote the last round.)

Brian said...

That was really fun! I also have a lot of new books on my TBR list. I wasn't surprised of the top 3, but I was surprised how far down His Dark Materials were. I guess the books that were at the top were the ones that more people have read. Well, it was cool to see which books people really liked.

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

One of my goals this year is to discover a a new genre. Besides Harry Potter, I read the first book in Fablehaven. Great list! If you can believe it -gasp- I've never read any C.S Lewis or Tolkien (except The Hobbit). I'll get to them though.

Annette Lyon said...

I'll have to put some of those on my TBR list as well. And my TBR AGAN list.

Suey said...

Very fun to see how this all shook down. I've read, or partly read, all of these series except one.. The Wheel of Time, which I've never heard of. Hmmm... what's up with that? I guess that's the one that'll be added to my TBR! (I have #2 of the Bartimaeus trilogy on it's way to me right now. Excited about that!)

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Hmm . . . I think I recognized a few of those titles. You probably think I'm joking, but I'm not. I'm much more into romance or adventure than fantasy. So far, there have been few fantasy books I've truly enjoyed. The one most recently was James Dashner's 13th Reality. I did try the first Inkheart book because I had friends rave about it. But I couldn't get through chapter two . . . maybe three. Oh well.

I am looking forward to reading Farworld though as I've enjoyed all your other books. I hope your fantasy book is as good as your suspense and thriller books!