Thursday, May 22, 2008

They're Heeeerrree (Said in a Poltergeist Movie Voice)


Okay, the ARC chant did it. The ARCs are here at last! I only got five this morning. But in the next couple of days I should get all the books I need for the blog tour. It's such a cool feeling holding a book in my hand that not so long ago was just an idea in my head. It finally seems real. Of course they aren't the final hardback copies, and I have published other books before. But this is an initial print run of 40,000 hard back copies. It's placement on bookshleves nationwide.


Honestly, until I had the book in my hands, there was still a tiny voice in the back of my head whispering, "It's not real. Something will happen to make it all fall through."


But hey, now it's real! Would you blame me if I sleep with one under my pillow until the final copies show up in about three months?


Funny side note: I told my boys (pictured above) that next week we were going to have an ARC mailing party.

Boys "What's that?"

Me "It means we are going to stuff, label, and insert letters in over 150 envelopes to mail out books to my blogger friends."

Boys (Think for a minute.) "Will there be food?"

Me "Probably."

Boys "Will there be other kids?"

Me "Nope. Just us."

Boys "That doesn't sound like much of a party."

Oh, well. At least I'll be having fun. Which is good, because as much as it pains me to say it, Indy 4 was something of a let down. I'm sure if I hadn't gone in with such high expectations it wouldn't have been as bad. I went in looking for another 10, and what I got was maybe a 6 1/2. The sad thing is, most of the movie was a 12. Classic Indiana Jones thriller. But a few scenes, and the ending in particular, just had us all shaking our heads and asking, "Why?"

That being said, we all applauded at the end. (Well most of us.) And I will go back and see it again. And I will buy the DVD. It is a good addition to the trilogy, but in my opinion it is not as good as any of the first four. Honestly, if I go back with the right expectations, I could probably bump it up to a 7 or even 7 1/2. But I really, really, wanted it to be a 12.

One other funny thing. We left at 10, although it turned out we could have gone at 11:30 and gotten decent seats. The two theaters weren’t even sold out. But that says more about Payson, Utah than the movie. Anyway, without even discussing it, we all brought books to read while we waited. So here are all these rowdy teenagers in line, and sitting on the floor is my me, my wife, and our four kids all reading away. Made me proud

Back on the ARC side, I will be sending out e-mails over the next couple of days with final blog tour details to everyone who has signed up. Last time I sent out an e-mail to everyone on the tour, I only heard back from about 2/3rds. So if you don't hear from me by Monday, check your SPAM filters or send me a message. Can't wait to get these out and start hearing back from you!

24 comments:

shereadsbooks said...

If your boys are smart enough to know that stuffing envelopes isn't much of a party, they're probably also smart enough to be tricked into thinking of it as a contest.

trish said...

I did get your email you sent out to the blog tour participants, and I thought it was hilarious when you said, "If you don't get this, email me." LOL

I was going to email you back but couldn't think of anything witty to say. And I'm all for If you can't say something witty, don't say anything at all.

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

So exciting!

We are seeing Indiana Jones tomorrow afternoon! I hope it's good, but we can't complain to much when the hubbie's office is taking us, on work time no less. I love his job.

Anna said...

Ha! I will not be dissuaded!
I'll be posting a review to see what I think of the new Indiana Jones....I can't wait to see it, even after it not being twelve in ur book.

None of us can wait for the ARC's!

That's hilarious that you read in the movie line. If I had to wait long enough, that sounds like something I would do. Sometimes I have a hard time concentrating in loud places.

Trish said...

Congrats--that must be the best feeling in the world to know that soon your books will be all over the place. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy. And have fun at the party--my theory is all you need is some great food to have a party. :)

Annette Lyon said...

What an exciting moment! Congrats!

(Count me as one who didn't get the e-mail.)

Tamra Norton said...

Can't WAIT to get my hands on that ARC! With all my college kids home for the summer, as well as the pre-teen, and teenage fantasy freaks in our household, the ARC will no doubt be read multiple times.

cat said...

AWESOME that the ARCs have arrived!

Looks like your boys are a little too young to persuade with pizza and beer, huh?

And um... I didn't get the email you sent out to the blog tour participants, I guess this is me emailing you to let you know! I thought I was a part of it. *sniffle*

:)

Anna said...

I didn't get an e-mail about the ARC's....was I supposed to?

Sorry, just pretend that I'm dense and I miss everything. :D

DesLily said...

In my wildest dreams I couldn't imagine how you felt when you opened your package and saw the ARCs for the first time.. now that's something you should have had one of the kids take a picture of! I'm sure it's a day you won't forget anytime soon!

Karlene said...

ARCs! Yea! Excited to get my copy.

Irish said...

Congrats on the arrival of the ARCs. That must be exciting. =) I know that I'm looking forward to reading it. I also just found out that I'll be moving soon. I've sent you an email with my work address...that is a constant and so there won't be a risk of the book getting lost in the mail. For that you be horrible!

G

Kathleen said...

Yay! I can't wait :)

Kylee said...

yay! My oldest is almost excited to read the book as I am.

I got your other e-mail.

Suey said...

Yey!! And cute picture too.

I'm hoping to see Indie 4 soon, so I'll go with lower expecations. Hopefully that will help!

Brian said...

Hooray for the 3 letter acronym.

Sheila said...

We were talking about you and Farworld when we recorded our podcast last night. You can tell when you listen to me that I am bouncing with excitement to get my hands on my ARC copy!!
This is such an exciting time for you Jeff and for the world of fantasy readers. I will be looking forward to my e-mail! BTW...good for your family all reading while waiting in line! That's my type of family.
~~Sheila
Reviewer for LDS Women's Book Review

qugrainne.com said...

I'm looking forward to reading Farworld and the blog tour! Should be a fun summer of bookness. Congratulations.

Heather B. Moore said...

Very cool! Can't wait to see the ARC! (Didn't get the email either)

RobisonWells said...

That's awesome, man. Congrats.

cat said...

Still don't have an email. :( Not sure when you had planned to send out another one, so I though I would tell you. :)

I'm REALLY looking forward to being a part of this virtual tour, so I hope I still can!!

Irish said...

I haven't gotten an email either...and I've been checking my spam folder as well. Nothing.

Don said...

The girls and I are looking forward to reading the book. We'll hurry through the one we're reading now so we can jump right in!

Crystal Liechty said...

Yay! I'm excitedly awaiting my copy! I'm so happy for you!!!