Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fun w/ Keyword Searches

I came across this idea while browsing blogs recently and can’t for the life of me find it again. So if it was you, let me know and I’ll give you full credit. Otherwise, tough chicken nuggets!

As bloggers we often check to see how people are finding us. Sometimes the keywords make sense. Sometimes not so much. But hey if people need this information so much that they are searching for it, who am I to deny them? So with no further ado, here are some of my recent top search hits along with clarifying information.

#1 j. scott savage, j scott savage, j. scott. savage, j scott savage water keep, j scott savage blog

Yep. That’s me, my book, and my blog. The period after J is optional. Period after Scott is gratuitous. There has been a lot of confusion over what to call me. My wife has had quite a bit of success with, “Hey you.” As in “Hey you, get off the computer before your dinner gets cold.” And “Hey, you better look at the garbage disposal. I think it just fell off the bottom of the sink.” It had. (Note for future plumbers, garbage disposals actually just twist on and off. So don’t twist unless you want it off.) I actually answer to either Jeff or Scott, but not J. I’ll do another blog soon explaining in mind-numbing detail how I came to be the two named wonder.

#2 The second highest search is not surprisingly, “getting published with Shadow Mountain.”

If I could guarantee this, I would be able to make a living just off author fees. As I’ve said many times before, Shadow Mountain rocks. They are a great publisher. I can’t guarantee they’ll publish you. But I can provide a little additional information.

Shadow Mountain is the national imprint of Deseret Book. They are both based out of the same headquarters, but although DB is a primarily LDS (Mormon) publisher, SM is not. The books they publish are national content sold in bookstores across the US. Some of their most successful books have included the Fablehaven Series and several books by author Jason Wright, including The Wednesday Letters and The Christmas Jar. Both Wright and Mull have hit the NYT bestseller lists.

Shadow Mountain is open to both mainstream and YA novels. They do not require an agent, but they will work with agents. In the YA market, they will consider fantasy and non-fantasy works. One thing to be aware of when submitting to Shadow Mountain is that, although they do not want religious specific content, they are still looking at books with family content (no language, gore, sex, etc.) You can find more info at http://www.shadowmountain.com/

#3 Chris Schoebinger

Chris is the head honcho at Shadow Mountain. He is an incredibly savvy guy, and can take credit for much of the success at Shadow Mountain. Very sharp on all aspects of publishing and marketing. A little goofy, but hey aren’t we all? (Just kidding Chris, if you’re you know, reading this.) Chris does not take submissions directly but is very involved in acceptance down the road.

#4 Magic tour blogspot

Hmmm. Confusing. Are we taking about a blogspot for magic tours or a magic tour of blogspots? I’ll just assume it was someone checking on my Find Your Magic blogspot tour. At the end of my tour I’ll do a full recap with stats, numbers, and impressions.

#5 I look like John Depp

It’s true. I’m not gonna lie. I get confused for him a lot. When, you know, I wonder aimlessly around Tortugas with a bottle of Rum in my hand.

#6 How to do Savage magic tricks.

Talk a lot and try to say funny things to the audience so no one notices you are a lousy magician. There’s a reason I turned to writing.

#7 What monster is best for magic finding?

Trolls. Definitely trolls. Or ogres. Actually water elementals have incredible finding powers. But they don’t really count as monsters.

#8 Find your magic savage.

Look in the last place you left him.

#9 Are magic hooks any good?

No. But magic worms will keep you catching big mouth bass all day.

#10 Perfect publisher vanity

Well clearly it would have lots of room for books, a place for red pens, and a big mirror. Because editors have big egos. Unlike us humble writers.

#11 Lisa Mangum

Lisa actually held the number one spot for quite a while. But after the whole burger-gate incident, she’s really dropped in the polls. I’ve heard she’s looking for a new image consultant. Lisa is the real brains behind Shadow Mountain and she saved me from having to do something to my first chapter that I really didn’t want. All hail Queen Mangum.

We also have two new stops on the blog tour:

Kyle wrote a maniacal review at his blog Book Review Maniac

Jaime Theler nearly got me killed by falling off ancient ruins or getting swatted by an angry German. You can read her review here. And our fun Q&A here.

13 comments:

Jen - Devourer of Books said...

I do the keyword search posts. I first saw them on Maw Books' blog, but I'm guessing you probably saw them at Fyrefly Books, since you already did your blog tour stop there.

shereadsbooks said...

It might also have been me. See here.

Kimberly said...

The best search that ever lead someone to my blog was, "How to rule the wolrd with jello."

It was a proud moment for me.

DesLily said...

the links by Jamie's name.. both linkd go to the interview..neither go to the book review... fyi...

Sandra said...

So how does one go about doing a keyword search? Ok smart alec I meant how does one do the type of search to see how people are getting to your blog- not how to do a search. Some people!

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

I must admit, I love these keyword searches. I think they are so much fun. I've started doing it as a monthly installment. I've finished Far World this past month, and then my computer blew, but now I've got a loaner. Hope to be emailing you soon!

Tamra Norton said...

Okay, Savage--what's up with the picture?!!! How about some George Clooney or Groucho Marx, or Oscar the Grouch, or Tulips. Tulips are good.

What's up with the poor guy?

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

First off this was fun to read. Maybe one day I'll do one of those so I know how people find me..... maybe not.
Second, thanks for the book! I LOVED it..... except now I have to wait a whole year to read what happens next! My son has also read it and is also waiting like me. I've a whole line of others just itching to get their hands on your book! Good luck with sales, I know we'll be getting one! :)

Jen - Devourer of Books said...

Okay, so far today I've read 124 pages of Far World and I'm not ready to stop yet. I'm totally enthralled with both the writing and the storyline. I'm writing down questions as they occur to me. I KNEW this would be the kind of book I would want to give as gifts!

As you can tell, I'm loving it! I have a feeling you'll have my questions soon, but don't tell anyone because I'm actually supposed to be working right now, not reading...

Candace E. Salima said...

Jeff, dropping by your blog is always a bright spot in my day. Thanks.

cat said...

You kill me with laughter. "Find your magic savage" Look in the last place you left him. Bwahah!

Ok, dude. On laptop and lost emails in the transfer, so to let you know, Mr. Author Guy, my review and interview should be up by end of today or tomorrow latest. Life got crummy and distracted me from the playing on the internet for fun.

www.beyondbooks.wordpress.com

T. V. Potterf said...

So, what's happening with Shandra Covington? When will we be hearing about her again?

DesLily said...

ok.. i've got way more than my fair share of worries and being upset right now... you've never gone 2 weeks without a post! I hope all is ok !