Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Independance Day! & More Stops on the Tour

I’ve read many wonderful blogs today, recognizing the freedoms we have and the people who have sacrificed so much to protect that freedom. I know there is a lot of division in our country, maybe more so than at any time since the civil war. But as long as we can all unite on days like today in support of the many good things we have and the right of people to say what they think and stand up for what they believe, I think we’ll be okay.

I know that for me personally, I couldn’t be more proud to recognize over two hundred years of freedom. I’m proud of the many cultures, races, religions, and beliefs that can all survive and thrive in a single country. I’m proud that I can go to schools around the country and tell children that they can become anything they set their minds to and know it is absolutely true.

With all of our flaws, warts, and freckles, I’m proud to call the US home. Even if we don’t have Wonder Bars and Ketchup Chips. That was for you, Canada. Sorry I missed your Canada Day celebration. I was thinking about you. For the rest of you outside the US, let me know anytime you’re in the Utah area and I’ll take you all out for a burger and fries (with that unique Utah conglomeration known as fry sauce.) Those of you outside the US and Canada, what is your equivalent of Independence Day?

Here are two more blogs that I had a chance to visit.

Teacher Tasses did a great review over at Let the Wild Rumpus Start. She’ll be doing a cool interview and contest later. She’s also going to create a literature teaching guide for grades 3-6. Can’t wait to see it.

I also visited with the lovely and talented author, Shirley Bahlmann. We did our Q&A at the bottom of the lake in Water Keep no less. Let me just say in fair warning that Shirley is at least as weird as me. And I mean that in the nicest way. Check her blog Shirley Bahlmann Bizz, then check out her books. She is a great writer!!

6 comments:

shereadsbooks said...

"Fry sauce"? I fear.

Kimberly said...

Shirley's interview was beyond funny. My kids are a bit freaked out from me laughing so hard.

Tamra Norton said...

It just doesn't get any better than fry sauce. My Molly books even sing the praises of this pink concoction--that's how much I love it. When I go to Whatabruger here in Texas I have to make my own. Sad, but true.

Happy 4th, everyone!

DesLily said...

Hope you and your family had a great 4th !! I love that the reviews and interviews have begun!!

Candace E. Salima said...

Great reviews. Shirley's was very, very funny.

Candace E. Salima said...

Oh wow, how could I forget? Thank you for you thoughtful comments about the 4th of July and America. I truly do love this nation and am so grateful I was born and raised here.