Monday, August 18, 2008

Avalanche of Words

Once up on a time there was an author who was getting ready for the publication of his first fantasy series. Deciding that he wanted to do everything within his power to make his series a success, he decided to do leave the city of Blog and go on a tour. The thing was, he couldn’t really find any solid information on what a blog tour involved. He’d always enjoyed reading other people’s blogs as well as writing his own, so he set out on a quest to discover the prefect blog tour.

Along the way, he learned that not all blogs are equal. Some blogs focus primarily on certain genres of books or certain age groups. Some have a very small audience of only a few readers while others have hundreds of thousands of unique visitors. Many bloggers weren’t sure he was really legit. Some didn’t respond to his e-mails. Some politely declined.

But over time, he met many new friends, found lots of great sites that he regularly visits, and signed up over one-hundred and fifty people to join his tour. Now that he had a great group of bloggers covering the US and Canada, and representing a wide range of readers, he thought about ways to make his tour stand out. A review is great, he thought. And one-hundred and fifty reviews will be even better. But how cool would it be if the readers could get to know me as well?. He knew that he liked learning more about the authors he enjoyed reading. What better way than to do interviews where bloggers could ask him questions?

This seemed like a good plan. And the bloggers appeared to agree. Soon he received his advance reader copies, ARCs, and sent them to the wonderful bloggers. At first there wasn’t much response, as people read his book. But after a week or so, he began to get e-mails. The messages were great. People didn’t hate his book! In fact most of them liked it quite a bit. Along with the reviews came interview questions. He excitedly answered each question, trying to think of answers that were both helpful and at least a little entertaining.

Soon he received more interviews, and more, and more, and more. One thing he had failed to take into consideration was how long it takes to answer 150 interviews. On average, each interview took from thirty to forty minutes to answer. Some were shorter. Some were longer. Questions ranged from what his favorite candy bar was to why there was no technology to speak of on Farworld.

The questions were great! They really gave him a lot to think about. And it was wonderful hearing how the book affected people. But even with an average response time of 30 minutes, doing 150 interviews took over seventy-five hours. At the same time, his publisher was asking for a completed manuscript of book two. And his other publisher was asking for edits on his regional mystery series.

The author tried to keep climbing the growing mountain of interviews while also writing 2-3,000 words per day. But soon he slipped and disappeared under an avalanche of words. Several miles away, the people of the Blog watched and waited. Would he ever be heard from again? Had he smothered under the weight of so many words? Had his brain been twisted by the question of which character was his favorite or how he came up with names?

Then a hand appeared at the top of the mountain of words, and the people gasped. A second hand appeared. And finally a head peeked over the surface of the pile. He WAS alive. He still had a gazillion books to send out. And he was answering questions from three days before. But there was hope that he would return to the land of Blog soon. And once there, he would post many links, tell many tales of his journey, and get all of the winner’s their books. Oh, and he would also get his second book turned in. It being easily twice as exciting as his first book.

Hey, gang. Sorry I disappeared for a while. I’m just about caught up. I’m currently answering Friday’s questions and hope to be through all of today’s questions by the end of the night. So if you haven’t missed my posts, bad luck for you, I’m back. But if you have missed them, thanks! I’ve missed you too. Also, please if you have sent me questions earlier than Friday and have not heard back, absolutely resend them.

Thanks! Scott

18 comments:

cat said...

I am most pleased that you have not been defeated by an avalanche of words. That would be sad.

Happy to hear from you here though! Hang in there! It's all worth it in the end. ;)

trish said...

LOL! No wonder you're the writer and I'm not!

Did you get my two pages of questions? And I want LONG answers, mister!

TEASING!

Kimberly said...

You almost make me not want to be a famous author some day.

Only almost though.

Welcome back!

Brian said...

I was wondering where you'd gone!

Rachelle said...

Glad you survived and can't wait to hear more about book #2.

Irish said...

Welcome back! Glad you survived the avalanche. I know I'm behind schedule but I only recently found (my dear friend packed the book up in prep for my move and its been lost for a bit) your book and read it. I'm hopelessly behind on my reviews...but I have plans on getting to this one sooner rather than later.

Suey said...

So glad to hear from you again! I was beginning to wonder if you'd run away from us all!

Tamra Norton said...

Hey Bro! :) It was great catching up with you a few weeks ago. I ran my Farworld anit-review (which happens to be a great endorsement--just not a review) over on The Ink Ladies blog along with the J. Scott Savage Twisted Trivia contest.

DesLily said...

I did think it could be that you were caught up in writing..but being who I am, I only go so long before beginning to get worried!

so.. is book 2 coming along as well as you hoped? (of course it is! hehe)

September 12th is right around the corner !! woohoo!

J.N. Future Author said...

Thats so cool! im really glad you have things going great for you! Iv been checking your blog religiously (you and Ja.Da.'s) but have not posted here once. so here i am, posting away.

I cant wait for your book! it looks sooooo good. and if id known you wanted oppionions about it, i would have happily accepted an Adv. Readers copy!

iv also read your House of Secrets book. It was a nice read; but surely cant be as good as this new book!

Tell Mrs. Savage I said hi. and that ill be waiting for your book! (ALA)

~Jacoby

Tristi Pinkston said...

Glad to hear you're still breathing . . .

GoodyGang said...

I just wanted to thank you for the Book! I won it from the podcast you did on Friday. I love your writings and I'm so excited to be able to share them with my 5 children now. I can't wait until they post the podcast so that I can get the answers to my questions.My favorite saying is " Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..... It's about learning to dance in the rain. So keep dancing and have fun, We are playing your song.

Josi said...

LOL--you are most definitely a writer. Welcome back.

shereadsbooks said...

I look forward to your return to the land of blog. That's quite a pile of words you have to get through... though I imagine that there are a lot of repeat questions for you? Surely you haven't had to write 1500 unique answers -- that would be above and beyond the call of duty!

In other news, I've recently switched to my own domain -- would you mind updating your sidebar link? It's http://shereadsbooks.org/ now -- very exciting, I think. (Others may not... but I'm willing to live with that.)

Heather B. Moore said...

I'm just excited you got the freaky picture off of the top of your blog :)

Framed said...

Hi Scott, I just posted my review of your book -- loved it -- but lost your email address to send you the link. Please reply to shaneen at easilink dot com and I'll forward it to you. I'm going to have to skip the interview. It seems I've run out of time especially since I'm having so much fun reading other interviews.

sarahdragon12 said...

hello my name is sarah i'm 12 years old and i'm reading far world. i just started 11-1-9 and i'm almost done i still have a qurter of it to read.i was wondring if you was going to make a thrid far world and if you are graet and if not why.



p.s i havent read book 1 yet because i cant find it but book 2 has been really really good so far.oh and were can i find book 1 of far world

Cherie Durbin said...

I'm just discovering you and your series and I enjoyed this humorous post!