Monday, January 18, 2010

Would You Rather?

Every Christmas, my kids know what to buy me. Games. I love games. I have a closet full of them and yet I’m always looking for more. One of the new games this year is called, Would You Rather? The idea is that you try to guess which of two (usually bad or embarrassing, but sometimes good in an odd way) things the rest of the players would pick, if they had to. For example: Would you rather have bottles stuck on all the fingers of one hand for a month, or have your foot stuck in a bucket for a month? Would you rather have a head twice the normal size or half the normal size? Would you rather age only from the neck up or the neck down?

The best questions are the ones where the two choices are so close in good or bad effects that it’s really hard to decide. It’s funny how you can think one choice is a no brainer, while another person thinks exactly the opposite. It helps you see how the people around you think. Is having a great body more important than a great face? Would you rather be able to run a marathon when you are 100 or write a great book? Fun stuff, and sometimes thought-provoking.

So in honor of the writing awards announced this morning, I thought I’d try some writing “Would You Rather” questions today and see how you all think. Remember, this is not a, b, or neither. The question is, if you had to choose between one or the other, which would you pick. Here we go.

Would you rather:
1) Get a huge advance on your next book but have it be shredded by the book critics, or make almost no money on the book (even after the awards were announced), but receive top awards?

2) Write a book adored by millions of readers you don’t know, but despised by your friends and family, or write a book your friends and family love, but everyone else hates?

3) Have your book made into a big budget film with lots of publicity and stars, that bombs, or not have your book made into a movie at all?

4) Only be able to write in a genre you don’t enjoy but sells like crazy, or write what you love but always sell poorly.

5) Get the agent of your dreams, knowing they are only lukewarm on your project, or a so-so agent who LOVES your manuscript?

6) Publish only one book, but have it be a classic, or publish dozens of mid-listers?

7) Write books that are very slow reading, but extremely thought-provoking, or quick reads that make people laugh and cry?

8) Sign a contract that guarantees $75k a year for the next twenty years, or an all of nothing deal that has a 50/50 chance of paying out nothing or twenty million?

9) Publish a book that in a genre that is all the rage right now, or one that breaks new ground?

10) Publish amazing books that everyone loves, but never read another book, or read the best books for the rest of your life, but never publish a thing?

What do you pick and why? I’ll tell you my picks after I’ve heard from you.

And just for fun, and because I didn’t realize it until recently, can any of you name the famous rock song that is about writer’s block?

8 comments:

Erin G. said...

Okay, here's my answers. :)

1) I would rather get the top awards and no money than the other way around. Because, money isn't everything. And in all honesty if you're only in writing for the money you're going to walk away very disappointed.

2) I would want the millions of readers. My family and friends loved me before I started writing, so they'll love me even if they hate my book. But at least I would be able to make a couple million happy, right?

3) Definitely, not make it into a movie at all? Have you seen Eragon? Enough said.

4) Write what I love but sell poorly. Refer to question 1 for my reasoning. ;)

5) So-so agent who loves my manuscript. You know, all the big shots started out as so-so's. If they love it and want to represent it, they'll be able to do a better job.

6) Publish one classic because then it would live in infamy. I could still write for myself, even if no one ever read it.

7) Can't it be both? Thought provoking and make the reader laugh and cry? No? Fine then. I'd probably pick a quick read just because nowadays there's not much room for slow and thought provoking literature on the market.

8) Guaranteed $75K for twenty years. Do you know how many snicker bars that would buy! :D

9) Ground-breaker. It's no fun being the copy cat and scrounging for peoples left over fans.

10) No question: read the best books & never publish. :)

That was fun! I'm excited to hear your answers. Have a good week!

J.N. Future Author said...

I posted it on my site since it was huge.....O.o,

(http://jacobyn.blogspot.com/2010/01/savages-would-you-rather.html)

I also tried answering your bonus question....

Magenta said...

I'm going to do this cool meme myself. Check my blog out for when I do it:

http://magentacarmineroberts.blogspot.com/

Deb said...

I'm a huge gamer as well. One of my favorites is "Beyond Balderdash". I played recently with my writers group. No worries, I schooled Kirk :)

I also posted the answers to your questions on my blog:

http://inkingcap.blogspot.com

Thanks for the questions! I had a fun time answering them.

Julie said...

1. I would rather get top awards, because it reminds me of the fact that I still write Fanfiction. Fanfiction gets you absolutely zip in the money range, but it makes you PUBLISHED! plus, you get to see other authors in training, who like your story, and being serious is overrated on Fanfiction. Plus a huge amount of self-esteem is in my books, so if critic after critic killed my story. I would have a nervous breakdown if that happened.

2. I would rather that my friends and family like my book then millions love it and my family hates it. I am working on a story because my only audience is my Best Friend, and I don't mind. If she doesn't like something, then out it goes. because, honestly, I would like my best friend thinking I rock as opposed to some random kid in china thinking I'm awesome. The hate mail would be bad though... Truthfully, I wouldn't want to be like Stephine Meyer. liked one moment and hated the next. that would be terrible.

3. No Movie. All movies ever do is destroy imagination of what you though the character looked like, replacing it with the actor. the twilight movie killed the book. My mom liked the books before she watched the movie, and then realized that she didn't like it anymore, because Bell was too moody and emo. she still is, even throughout the book. I lost faith in those books too.

4. write what I love. I will always write what I love, even if it means it will never sell. Currently, that is the Fairy genre. I'm expecting rejection letters for my fluffy fairies, because Fairies are very down right now. the only fairy books that are truly popular are ones with a new twist or ones Disney makes with overworked, underpaid authors of kid books all featuring Tinkerbell's world. I will not be a successful fairy, and I know that. but I write my Fairy Tales anyway.

5. Someone who loves my manuscript. I want someone to love my story, because honestly, my story isn't going to do well anyway. (points to answer 4) I'm like Team Faerieland on Neopets. I have no self-esteem. *I angst in a corner*

6. Publish dozen mid-listers. someone will still like my stories, and I'd like to see my book on the shelf.

7. quick reads. I like quick reads, and slow reads bore me to tears. I'm a teen with little patience. that's how I think.

8. $75K guarantee! I would rather have my guarantee then take a huge risk. I need at least some guarantee in life, and I will never take a risk that big.

9. Break new ground with Fairy Popularity!! Look at was Step did. now Vampies are all their rage... he he he!

10. Read awesome books. because the two go hand in hand, and I need books to see that it is possible to become published, even if I never get published in my life.

Allyson Condie said...

I loved this post! So interesting! And I'm dying to know what the name of that song is.

Sarah M Eden said...

Loved this game! I'm probably going to steal it, just so you know. It doesn't count as plagiarism if I tell you ahead of time, right? (And if I mention it came from you, and include a link.)

J.J. Bennett said...

Would you rather:
1) A. Get a huge advance on your next book but have it be shredded by the book critics, or

B. make almost no money on the book (even after the awards were announced), but receive top awards?

Answer: A. For sure... Money speaks more to me.

2) A. Write a book adored by millions of readers you don’t know, but despised by your friends and family, or

B. write a book your friends and family love, but everyone else hates?

Answer 2A. Because the only one in my family still alive is my mother who really means anything. Everyone else... Isn't a part of my life.


3) A. Have your book made into a big budget film with lots of publicity and stars, that bombs, or

B.not have your book made into a movie at all?

Answer A... Having someone think it's good enough to be a movie is priceless. Even if it tanks, you'll make your part...



4)A. Only be able to write in a genre you don’t enjoy but sells like crazy, or

B.write what you love but always sell poorly.

Answer B. You really need to love what you write.



5)A. Get the agent of your dreams, knowing they are only lukewarm on your project, or

B.a so-so agent who LOVES your manuscript?

Answer B. If they are working with me I want them to passion for the project.



6) A.Publish only one book, but have it be a classic, or

B.publish dozens of mid-listers?

Answer A. To be known for something special means more to me than an "average Joe".



7)A. Write books that are very slow reading, but extremely thought-provoking, or

B.quick reads that make people laugh and cry?

Answer B.



8) A.Sign a contract that guarantees $75k a year for the next twenty years, or

B.an all of nothing deal that has a 50/50 chance of paying out nothing or twenty million?

Answer B. My husband has a job with a retirement. I'll take the gamble.



9) A.Publish a book that in a genre that is all the rage right now, or

B.one that breaks new ground?

Answer B. Having something special is key in this business.



10) A.Publish amazing books that everyone loves, but never read another book, or

B.read the best books for the rest of your life, but never publish a thing?

Answer B. We read together as a family and those memories mean more to me than anything.