Friday, October 29, 2010

Retro Friday

Looking around the blogosphere, I’ve found that everyone seems to have certain topics for certain days of the week. Myopic Monday (Where authors ignore the whole story by focusing on when and when not to use “the”), Terrible Tuesday (where you get to blog about the people who were really mean to you as a kid and how you are going to make them the villain who gets painfully killed in your next novel). Flatulent Friday. Anyhow, you get the idea.

I’m definitely not the punctuation king. In fact I occasionally throw in a few extra commas, in case I haven't used enough. And I try to make sure I have at least one semicolon every few pages. (For those of you as punctuation illiterate as me, a semicolon is NOT what you are left with after intestinal surgery.) And I don’t have enough friends to do Make a Friend Monday.

What I am pretty familiar with is awesome rock songs of the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s. Interestingly enough, a lot of those songs are showing up on commercials these days. My two youngest kids occasionally hear one of them, look at me in amazement, and go, “You mean that’s a real song, Dad? You didn’t just make it up?”

Heh, heh. Punks!

Anyway, as a writer of novels that are often read by younger generation than my own, I often get introduced to cool new bands. So I thought it might be fun every Friday, to introduce you to what I consider to be some of the coolest songs of my generation.

Therefore, every Friday until I get tired of doing it, (or enough of you throw virtual tomatoes) will be Retro Friday. Where I introduce my younger readers to some songs I think they need to add to their music vocabulary.

Today’s song “Stray Cat Strut” is not nearly as old as say, classic CCR, or the Doobies, but it is just so dang cool. You can’t listen to this without wanting to put on your shades and walk slowly (and suavely) down Main Street.

Stray Cat Strut

This came out in the early 80’s. And no I didn’t have hair like that, ever!

I couldn’t embed the link to the original music video, but you can find it here. Until, next Friday, enjoy..

2 comments:

Sarah M Eden said...

I was like 3 when that song came out, thus it's new to me.
I think I'm gonna dig this Retro Friday thing. I'll think of it as educational.

J Scott Savage said...

Definitely educational. Just call me Prof. Savage.