Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Retro Friday

Hope you all had an awesome Thanksgiving including lots of great food, family, football, and my favorite, naps!

Wow, so many possibilities for today’s Retro Friday. Paint It Black by the Stones. Um, the one about Turkeys, or um football, or gratitude, or naps.

Okay, so maybe there aren’t as many Black Friday rock songs as I thought. I personally stayed home today and recovered from a great day with family and friends, only going outside long enough to have lunch with a couple of friends. But in honor of all you who braved the wilds and crowds to go shopping, here’s one of my old favorites, “Run Through the Jungle” by Creedence Clearwater Revival.

This song came out in 1970, when many of you weren’t even born yet, and I looked something like this.

Young Jeff  

Stylish, no?

Although many people thought this song was about the Vietnam War, it was actually about violence at home in the US. It has been featured in several movies, including:

Rude Awakening (1989)
Air America (1990)
Rudy  (1993)
The Big Lebowski (1998)
Radiofreccia  (1998)
Tropic Thunder (2008)

And it is the song Jack and his best friend, Richard listen to as they cross the country in a wolf-chauffeured Cadillac at the end of The Talisman, written by Stephen King and Peter Straub.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

J.N. Future Author said...

aw! Your totally adorable!

Neopet553@live.com said...

Hey. :) I live in South Salt Lake. I love your books! I currently sleep with them under my pillow, if only to prop my head up. :)

Sarah M Eden said...

I actually knew this song before Retro Friday. That is a first. I did not, however, know any of its history. Thanks for the education, Jeff!