Thursday, July 28, 2011

Yes, “That” Announcement

I’m not going to be coy here. I’ve been waiting to make this announcement for nearly ten years. And yes it is the announcement almost every author dreams of making. If you’re a really bad person, (or have not read enough Curious George books to learn your lesson) you could skip to the bottom of this post. But humor me, and read this first. I promise I will keep it short.

Almost exactly ten years ago, I had a dream. The dream was that one day I would publish nationally. I have worked hard. I’ve learned so much. I’ve had two agents. I’ve come close more times than I can count. I’ve thought I had it made and seriously considered never writing again—and that was just in the last year alone.

I know you want to hear the news, but first, here’s what I’ve learned.

1) Never, ever, ever give up on your dream. There is always more you can learn, and when things feel the darkest is almost always when you are the closest to your destination.

2) Maybe somewhere, somehow, someone has done it without the help of friends, but I’ve never heard of them. I know that I absolutely could not have achieved my dream without the help of great friends including my family, my critique group, fellow authors, readers, many, many of you here on this blog, and my best friend in the world, my wife. When you are really depressed, friends make all the difference.

3) Patience is huge. No one likes to wait. I think it’s probably the biggest complaint of all authors. But one thing my agent told me recently is that it seems like the people who wait the longest end up getting success the quickest when it does happen. That was the case with me.

4) I totally respect people who decide to self-publish. It’s a different road that hopefully leads to the same place as taking the traditional route. But let me tell you, anyone who claims agents and editors are mean and looking to keep authors down is full of it. I love my agent, Michael Bourret, and I love every editor I’ve ever worked with. They have made me a better writer and maybe even a better person.

5) Finally, never underestimate the power of putting the next words on paper. The announcement I am about to make to you was not the first book my agent pitched. I’ll give you the full story in the weeks to come. But this happened because I was working on something entirely different while the book I thought would sell didn’t.

So here goes. Almost two years ago, I programmed my cell phone to play, “Back in Black” when my agent called me. Three cell phones and two books later, my cell phone finally rang. Of course when I answered, the annoyingly charming Michael spent ten minutes taking about my recent camping trip. Then he said, “Oh, by the way, I have some good news.” And yes it was the news I’ve been waiting all these years to hear.

My middle grade horror series, The Grimville Case Files had sold. Here’s the listing from Publishers Weekly.

Andrew Harwell at HarperCollins Children's Books has bought a new middle grade series, The Grimville Case Files. It stars three monster-obsessed boys who must solve "fiendishly funny" mysteries; the first in the series is scheduled for publication in spring 2013. Michael Bourret at Dystel and Goderich Literary Management brokered a three-book deal for North American rights.

My editor is the totally cool Andrew Harwell who you can follow on twiiter at @andrewasalways. My agent is the rocking Michael Bourret of Dystel and Goderich. The first book in the series comes out Winter of 2013. It’s called Zombie Kid, and it may be the funniest and scariest book I’ve ever written.

I promise to have more info on Farworld book three soon, but for right now, I am celebrating my head off. Thanks for hanging with me all this time. I couldn’t have done it without you.

This paragraph is for all you bad bad people who skipped straight to the end of the post. Go back and read from the top. Those of you who got here win my undying respect and a virtual pat on the back. That is all!       

67 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

Way to go! That's wonderful news.

And about dang time!

JaredNGarrett said...

That is wonderful. Deserved congratulations, sir.

Annette Lyon said...

I, for one, have been jumping around with pom poms ever since I heard. You deserve this, Jeff!

Melinda said...

Hooray!!! Oh my goodness! I am so very thrilled for you! It is much deserved, my friend. I knew this would happen. My boys are going to be thrilled. My son has read Farworld more than seven times.

Anna Buttimore said...

Congratulations! And thanks for giving encouragement and inspiration to those of us with the same dream.

Lu Ann Brobst Staheli said...

I've been hinting at this one to members of my family, and even to my online friend,s so it's WONDERFUL to be allowed to finally celebrate out loud! Congrats Jeff, and we all LOVED the book. It will be fun to see how it grows in the publication process.

DJ Rose said...

Great big congrats!!!! (Heard it first from Kirk, he's so happy for you)

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Peggy Eddleman said...

Congratulations! I am so very happy for you!!

G.G. Vandagriff said...

Jeff!
That is seriously good news hombre! So glad it all came together for you. You have worked so hard!
Knuffels,
GG

Katie Parker said...

Congratulations, Jeff! What awesome news.

Suey said...

YAY! So excited for you.. and for us, the readers! Very awesome. Ah, but winter of 2013 seems like a long way away... however, we'll be here! :)

Janette Rallison said...

Wahoo!!! We're Harper buddies! My editor for Time Riders (going to be called something else) is Sarah Shumway.

Tanya Parker Mills said...

You definitely deserved this. Thanks for never giving up. You're an inspiration!

Stephanie Black said...

Congratulations, Jeff!!!! I am SO happy for you!

The Damsel in Dis Dress said...

So stinking cool! I'm ecstatic for you.

Becky said...

Awesome news! Congratulations Jeff! I can't wait to read it.

Jenilyn Tolley said...

Congratulations! That's awesome!

David Powers King said...

Fantastic! This is uber exciting!

And why I have not joined your blog until now, I have no idea. Better late than never.

Katie Dodge said...

Congrats! That's awesome! Thanks for an inspiring post! :)

Mindy said...

What a great post to read for the crappy day I've had. So happy for you. You're a great author Jeff, you deserve it!

Unknown said...

Wonderful news, Jeff! Fantastic! I wish I knew some more superlatives, I'd sure use 'em now.

Sheila said...

The most awesome news I have heard all year!!! You deserve this so much!

KT said...

Yay! Congrats!

Katrina L. Lantz said...

Woot! Congratulations! Stories like yours give every writer hope. You definitely deserve this after all your amazing work. I'll be looking out for Zombie Kid!

Robin Weeks said...

Have I told you have have three sons? Aged 10, 8, and 6?

Wouldn't they be perfect focus-group readers for Zombie Kid? I'll even read it to them, since the 6-year-old can't read yet.

Just send it on over.... :)

Yay Jeff! Er... Scott! What name are you publishing them under, anyway? The announcement didn't even mention you. :(

Elana Johnson said...

Ahhhh! Congrats, Jeff!! This is the best news ever! I still remember our conversation at the Teen Author Boot Camp at UVU. I've been thinking of you ever since.

I can't say it loud enough: CONGRATS!!!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

that is so awesome, Jeff, I'm so happy for you and so jealous. Someday I hope to have the same announcement.

Amber Argyle, author said...

You rock! I'm SOSOSOSOSOSOS Happy for you! You deserve it and I think your ten different kind of awesome.

And again, thank you for condescending to follow me on.

Make sure you wear you tiara! It's one of those days! ;)

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! You totally deserve every second of celebration. :)

David Vandagriff said...

Congratulations, Jeff!

I hope you sell a ton of books.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Way to go, Jeff! You are awesome. Incredible. And inspiration. I'm seriously so so happy for you!

Darvell Hunt said...

EXCELLENT NEWS! Way to go! This is such wonderful news.

I'm doing my best to NEVER QUIT and follow in your footsteps.

Laurie LC Lewis said...

Congratulations to a generous author who has offered advice and a hand up to many people. So happy for you!

Tristi Pinkston said...

Jeff, I can't tell you how proud I am of you and how happy I am for you. It honestly couldn't happen to a nicer, more deserving guy.

David Glenn said...

Congratulations Jeff! That is the best news an author can get!

J Scott Savage said...

Thanks everyone. I am seriously overwhelmed by all the congratulations and support. You guys are the best! Can't wait to share more info as it come through.

ali said...

Oh James. You have long been my hero and the epitome of class and awesomeness in this writerly world. I am so freakin' happy for you, in every possible way I could be happy for you.

Congratulations James. You SO deserve this. And I will be first in line (even if I have to punch out a few people to get there) to buy ZOMBIE KID!!!

Laura said...

Awesomeness. You live by your words- and to see those words turn into a dream come true is truly inspiring. Thanks for sharing your road with the world. I know I've been waiting and watching, and I believe what you say.

Nichole Giles said...

I came to read this already having heard your news and feeling so incredibly excited about it. But you have no idea how badly I needed to read the paragraphs preceding your announcement. Thanks Jeff. I can't think of anyone who more heartily deserves a deal like this. You are my hero.

Debbie Davis said...

This is such wonderful news! I am so excited that you get to ride the fun tide of national publication. You have always talked of never giving up at storymakers and always writing what you love. I love your tenacity, it gives us all the courage to keep going forward. I have 3 boys of my own and they love you books so I know they will love this series...and next... the movie deals!! =0) you deserve it all and more!!!

Eric Swedin said...

Congratulations. I have always admired your focus and ability to learn from setbacks.

kbrebes said...

Great advice that made for one terrific post and announcement! C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S on being patient, working hard, and staying in the light of hope!

Erin Shakespear said...

Congratulations Jeff! And thanks for the great advice. :)

Nisa said...

That's wonderful! Congratulations!!

John Waverly said...

WAHOOOO! WOOT! WOOT! This is WAY AWESOME! And I know you've been working so hard for this, and it's been so frustratingly close for so long. HUZZAH!

By the way, you didn't fool me for an instant. I knew if I skipped to the end all I would find is some snarky remark about cheating. Ha.

Don said...

This is great news, Jeff! Woo! Congratulations. I'm very happy for you.

Melissa J. Cunningham said...

ON MY WORD, JEFF! That is SO fantastic! You give us all so much hope! I want that same experience so bad I can taste it! It is hard to wait, and it's easy to want to quit. I've been there too, but you've shown that persistence pays off. Thank you so much for always being such a great friend. One of the things I've always admired about you is that you treat everyone like your best friend. You take time for the little guy and make everyone feel wanted. Thank you for doing that for me.

Once again. CONGRATS! You deserve it!

Emily Gray Clawson said...

Such wonderful, wonderful news!!! Thanks for the pep talk, too. Congratulations!

Abel said...

Great news Jeff. Congrats!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Congrat!!!

Btw I'm bad. I skipped to the bottom.

J Scott Savage said...

That's okay. I still love you, Blue. You've been following my blog forever.

J Scott Savage said...

Thanks for the congrats Ali. But people have been hanged for less than calling me James. :)

Jeff

David Dickson said...

Hi Jeff,

I commented over on FB, but wanted to say again how inspiring this is for me (well, for all of us). Thanks so much!

I shared your blog entry "More net, less work" with my own writing group just last week and they all loved it. It's your turn to climb a few rungs up the net. Congrats again!

David

J Scott Savage said...

Thanks, David. Nothing would please me more than to help some of you guys right up next to me or even see you climb above.

Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen said...

Wow! Congratulations, Jeff. That's soooo exciting!

Rachelle said...

Congrats on the amazing news! I can't think of a person who deserves it more. You have helped and inspired so many writers and you are an incredible writer! Can't wait to read it.

Erin G. said...

Woot, woot! That's awesome!Congratulations! You definitely deserve it! :D

Diva Donna said...

WOOT! Congrats, Jeff!! I must say I was a little confused by all the 'James' comments. Thanks for the words of wisdom and the inspiration to continue striving. You are so deserving and all the Inkers are thrilled for you.

Can't wait to hear all of your pearls of wisdom through the National publishing and book tour process.

Shanda said...

Congratulations, Jeff! Thanks for being such a great example of persistence. Much deserved and well done!

Bonnie the Boss said...

Congrats!! Seriously, from the few authors I talk with I know it is a long road!! I am sure you deserve it!

Marny said...

Congratulations! I knew it would happen!

Rachael Renee Anderson said...

I'm a little slow catching up on all the news from Storymakers, so huge congrats a little late. This couldn't have happened to a better, kinder, more brilliant person. You will always have my respect, and I hope many more great things come from this. My son LOVES your Farworld series, by the way.

writing snippets said...

Awesome!!! Let's break out the party hats!
-Writing Snippets

Gamila said...

Dude! I was just thinking about you a while ago and wondering why you hadn't broke into the market yet. To me it seemed that you really deserved it and here is the big news. Sometimes it seems the world is totally unfair to good writers but you came out on top at the end. I am seriously thrilled for you! Congratulations.

Debra Erfert said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful inspiration you are, Jeff. I wish you only the best. You deserve it.

Karen Adair said...

Congratulations! What wonderful news! My daughter is already hooked on Far World...and now the younger son will have his own taste of Jeff Savage. :) Well, probably her, too. I can't keep her supplied with books fast enough.

Karen Adair said...

P.S. I read the whole post from the beginning to end. :)