Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Day After

I know, I know. He signs a big contract and then disappears from sight. Back when I was following author blogs, wondering what it would be like to sign a contract, I imagined the couple of weeks after getting a deal would be spent lying around on the beach and drinking piƱa coladas. Well let me be the first to say that, in my case at least, that’s definitely not true.

In fact, in a way, it’s kind of anticlimactic. You wait, and wait, and dream, and wish. Then, bam! It finally happens, and . . . nothing. Life goes on. You don’t get the advance check in the mail for months typically. You don’t get flown out to wine and dine with the publisher.

You wake up. You go to work, you check in with your agent, and you wait. It’s even kind of tough to write, because your mind is still focused on the book you finally sold.

Fortunately, things are starting to move again.

In the last week, I got an awesome bunch of books and a Harper Collins water bottle from my publisher, I got my edit letter for Grimville, and I had a chance to meet my amazing editor, Andrew Harwell in person. We had lunch, talked books and writing, hung out, and , well . . . This can probably say it better than me.

Yep, good times!

Tomorrow I’ll post about getting an edit letter!

10 comments:

Blue said...

Nice!
Be sure to always put your own O2 mask on first...that's not being selfish and inconsiderate, it's being smart.

So is your editing job on this. Best of NYC in one fell swoop! :-)

Donna K. Weaver said...

Oh, Jeff. You shouldn't make me laugh so hard just before I'm headed to bed. Woke up hubby.

You and your agent really saw a lot of stuff in New York. Seriously. I didn't know you could see bull fighting there. Did the PITA folks show up?

Sounds like you had fun. Hope it was worth the wait.

David John Dickson said...

Ha! That was awesome. Loved the slideshow. :)

Welcome back from the Big Apple. Served my mission in NYC. It's an incredible place.

Annette Lyon said...

For half a second I thought, "Man, they must have spent the whole day together."

Then I clued in.

Big-time congrats yet again!

Robin Weeks said...

Par-TAY! If was as good at photo shop as you obviously are, I'd be putting my own picture over yours. Just sayin. Since I'm not, I'll have to just keep imagining it. Thanks for sharing!!

Andrew said...

While you were at the airport, we had thunderstorms and tornado warnings. Yesterday, we had an earthquake. And now I hear a hurricane is headed our way?

I think New York is angry you left!

Heather B. Moore said...

Haha, love it!

J Scott Savage said...

I keep picturing the rain and lightning and suddenly the big jumbo-tron in Times Square roars, "The Tiki gods have been angered!"

Julie Wright said...

LOL! love the shark picture. You make me laugh

Veronica Rossi said...

This is hysterical. Love it. Congrats on the deal!