Saturday, October 8, 2011

What’s the Deal With Farworld?

At least ten times a week, I get e-mails similar to this one.

“Fire whoever is hindering the progress of farworld #3 & 4 Sent from my iPod”

Okay, that might be a little more vitriolic than some of the messages. But the sentiment is the same. I’ve read both of the Farworld books. I love them. I can’t find book 3.

Up until this point, I’ve hesitated to say much publicly since things seem to change almost daily. Even now, there are a still a few things that could change, but I feel I owe my readers some answers. So, here we go.

1) Why isn’t Air Keep out?

I don’t really know who to blame for the delay. The publisher? The economy? Other projects that have come up since then? Me? All of the above to one extent or another.

I can say that as anxious as many of my readers are, no one is more upset about this delay than I am. Right now, book four, Fire Keep should be out and I should be doing final edits on the last book in the series, Shadow Keep.

Problems started to come up shortly before book two came out. I had just finished spending a year promoting book 1, visiting over 400 schools and signing somewhere in the ballpark of 10,000 books, when my publisher told me there was a chance they might not do book 2. Needless to say that just about killed me. Fortunately, they did release book 2, but with no marketing $ at all.

Since then, book 3, Air Keep, has been on, off, on hold, maybe in paperback, and everything in between. At the same time, other projects have come up. As an author, you can only write what the publisher is willing to publish. However . . .

2) Is there going to be a book 3?

There is absolutely going to be a book 3. In fact, I promise in writing here and now that there will be three more books in the series and they will be written and published. They are, in order, Air Keep, Fire Keep, and Shadow Keep.

I am actively writing Air Keep. There are two other projects that I have to turn in first. But one will be turned in this week end, and the other will be turned in by the end of this month.

Once that is done, I will be working solely on Air Keep.

3) When will book 3 come out?

My goal is still to have it finished by the end of the year. I recently traded e-mails with the artist who did the artwork for the first 2 books. I would very much like to have him do the art for the final three books and he’s excited about it too. If I go through a traditional publisher, they set the release date. But if I self-publish it, which is very much a possibility, book three could be out as soon as the end of this year or early next year in e-book. And shortly after that in print.

4) Do you know what will happen in books 3-5?

Absolutely! I’ve always had the whole series planned out, and that has made waiting even harder. A couple of nights ago, I revealed the first chapter of Air Keep to my writing group and when I got done, there was total silence. Not what they expected at all.

I am so excited to let the rest of you experience what is in my head, that it is just about killing me. I recently discovered that there are no more copies of Water Keep in the warehouse. That means that over 30,000 copies have been shipped out. Along with library readers and people loaning books to other people, I estimate that over 50,000 people have read Water Keep. I think that means there a few people waiting for the rest of the series? Yes?

If I end up self-publishing, expect to start seeing chapters posted here starting in early November. I may do as many as ten before the book comes out. If I go with a traditional publisher, that could change.

5) Where will I be able to get Air Keep?

Regardless of how I publish the next three books, you will absolutely be able to buy both print and electronic versions online (Amazon, B&N, etc) as well as here on my website. I am also talking to a distributor who should be able to make them available in some stores as well (especially in Utah, and surrounding states.)

And since it’s been nearly three years since I did regular school visits, how fun would it be to schedule some more the first of next year?

If you have any other questions, post them in the comment section, and I will try and answer them.

Thanks,


Jeff

19 comments:

curly girl said...

I have come up with a thousand predictions about the rest of the Far World series. I wonder..
will Marcus have a shadow sibling?
Are the shadow people themselves evil?
Are there worlds besides Far world and Earth?
Will the twin realities discover each other? (magic spell or special machine)
CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT BOOK!!!

Marny said...

Wow. What great news!

Krista said...

This is great news! It's wonderful to be so busy with something you love.

Blue said...

I hope that I'm not classified among the rude inquirers! This post perfectly answers my questions and I can't wait to share the news with my kids in the morning!

But THIS part might be rude...because, HELLO!?!? What are the (traditional) publishers thinking? Have they lost their minds?!

I'm just grateful that we won't be deprived because of the short-world sightedness of a few people in far-off places. Can't wait for more. Thanks so much for the juicy update. It hit the spot tonight!
And I'm absolutely not kidding that the Word Verification for this comment is gallyr, which I take to be a sign that I need to Read a GALLY copy! ;-)

Alice said...

Good news and good luck!

J.J. Bennett said...

Thanks for the update.

TisforTonya said...

yay (for the eventual publishing, not so much for the delays...) :) and we'd love to see you visit a few schools down in the Southern part of the state... just sayin'...

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Ebooks would be great! Would you consider the iBooks store? I ask because I have an ipad.

I'm glad you gave of something. It's been killing me to not know how the story ends.

Ron aka TheOldGeezer said...

Greetings from Southern California

I am your newest follower

Have a nice day :-)

Wolverine Girl said...

Glad I came to this site. My son is anxious to have this book for Christmas (but that doesn't sound like it is happening) or at least his birthday March 1. Don't worry, he'll get it whenever. So, we're in Michigan and hopefully Deseret Books will also distribute this? (since they are in Utah) I'll have to look up who the publisher is and send them a what-for... Thanks for writing!

Jennifer (An Abundance of Books) said...

These books are so popular with my reluctant readers, I just had a mother and son in here asking about the next books in the series.
I'll keep the books on our library wish list.

Fawn said...

Please publish number 3 asap. I've loved the first two books and can't wait to read the next one.

mamalaoshi said...

I can't believe you having issues publishing the rest of the series. My husband and I loved the first two books. I read several books every week and don't buy books unless I want to reread them and I just wanted to let you know that we bought both books in hardbound because we plan on reading them many times. Love the story, love the twists, love the characters.

A. M. said...

Thank you so much for posting information about the Farworld series. I was going half-crazy wondering how much longer I was going to have to wait for the next book. I now at least have something of an idea.
Thanks again!
~Farworld Lover

Allie said...

I've been so excited to read the next installment of your series! I've been checking the web almost daily for the past 2 years trying to find the release date for Air Keep. Miss that series so much! Thanks for giving your fans some hope :)

Farscaper said...

SOOOO glad to hear that things will be moving forward soon. You're killing man!!! I SOO LOVE the Farworld series. I am baffled how a series like L**** Th**** can get fully produced and distributed and a series like yours just sits in limbo. I don't get it. Your writing and plot blows most stories I've read over the past few years out of the water.

I'm reminded of the feeling of dispair every time a favorite tv series gets canceled (Firefly, Farscape, Outsourced etc..). I swear... some publisher better put on a proper pair of glasses and actually read your book series and get the rest of the series published PDQ.

I hate to say this, but I have not read the first 2 books to my kids yet. I don't want them to be tortured, like I am, waiting to find out what happens in the next book when I can't tell them when the next book will be out. I want sooo much to read these books to them. They are such fun.

Brandon Dorman is an amazing artist and I'm sooo glad that he is willing to do more of your artwork.

(getting off my soap box now... going back to my little corner)

Jacob Lee French said...

I've been following your blog for quite awhile now and only recently did I actually become a follower, haha. I myself want to be a writer and have been writing and developing my skills since I was 14 (about 6 year ago). I love your tips about stuff involving writing. It's really helped me in times where I'm not sure were to go next in a story I'm working on. You're awesome! I hope things are still moving forward with Farworld! I loved the first two books! Shadowmountain is crazy not to have just put the other books out there! Your book is way better than that Janitors book that they published recently. Not that I didn't like it, interesting concept, but your Farworld series is a heck of a lot better. I even tried sending an email to Shadowmountain complaining about them not publishing your books. Hope to here more about Air Keep soon!

Cody c said...

Aahhhhhh it's killing me its killing me its killing me I need to read air keep badly I read the first two In two days come on savage I need that book so much

E.T. Morrow said...

This is just one of many books I've been waiting forever to read and I can't wait. It's been a while since I read the first two books so I should probably go reread them...